If you are looking for a realistic yet comedic coming-of-age story, On My Block is a show for you. Here’s the trailer for Season 1 to get an idea of what you’re about to get into.
What You Need To Know Before Watching:
On My Block follows a squad of 4 teenagers trying to navigate life in Los Angeles. These 4 teens have been friends forever, and nothing could ever break them up. Of course, life doesn’t always go the way people planned.
Two members of the squad start to develop feelings for each other. While one teen is considering his options with the local gang that his family runs. With gang violence, catching feelings, and childhood trauma to test the strength of friendships, you already know this coming of age story is a little different.
Character Name (Actor Name)
- Ruby (Jason Genao): Latinx male; Age 15
- Personality: A little controlling. Micromanagement is his superpower. Perfectionism is his downfall. Will do anything or the ones that he loves. Passionate to a fault.
- Best Friend: Jamal
- Current Struggles: Puberty and Olivia
- Likes: His family and friends. Masturbating.
- Dislikes: Jasmine, The Santos (the local gang) & anyone or anything that endangers his family and friends.
- Cesar (Diego Tinoco): Latinx male; Age: 15
- Personality: Caring but easily influenced. Wants to impress others. Reckless at times. Means well but sometimes messes up (but everyone does that). Loves his family and friends above all.
- Best Friend: Monse
- Current Struggles: Deciding whether to join The Santos or not. Dealing with his growing feelings for Monse. Dealing with lowkey Daddy issues.
- Likes: Monse and his friends.
- Dislikes: Disappointing other people.
- Monse (Sierra Capri): Mixed female; Age: 15
- Personality: Chill and doesn’t care what others think of her. She is levelheaded and logical about most things. She isn’t comfortable with change (most people aren’t though).
- Best Friend: Cesar
- Current Struggles: Her budding feelings for Cesar. Her Mommy issues.
- Likes: Cesar and her friends. Being right. Being the voice of reason.
- Dislikes: Being the only girl in the group. The idea of her friend group changing. The Santos.
- Jamal (Brett Gray): Black male; Age: 15
- Personality: Super smart, but his friends don’t understand him sometimes. A self-starter. Ambitious. Leadership capabilities. An innovative thinker.
- Best Friend: Ruby
- Current Struggles: Roller World Money. His friends not understanding him as a person or believing in him.
- Likes: Being the leader. Doing his own thing. Helping his friends whenever possible.
- Dislikes: Being misunderstood or unheard. Being left out. Feeling insignificant.
- Olivia: New girl in town that all of the guys want but can’t have.
- Jasmine: The annoying girl who is always in everybody’s business.
- Oscar AKA Spooky: Cesar’s older brother and the leader of The Santos.
My Opinion of On My Block
I’ve been with On My Block since the beginning, and it’s crazy how the show has changed so much over the years. The character development is unimaginable due to the fantastic writing and acting. The best thing about On My Block is that it has its perfect comedic moments but will always snap back to the grim reality of living in South Central LA.
As far as the characters go, Jamal is my favorite character by far. Brett Gray brings this character to life, and it just makes you want to have a cool, quirky friend like Jamal. The entire cast holds a special place in my heart though because it’s been 3 years so far.
Although this show is categorized as a comedy, it still teaches valuable life lessons. Some of those lessons include:
- Lesson 1: All friendships don’t last as long as you think they would. Some people are here for a season rather than a lifetime, and that’s okay. People naturally drift apart, and that’s okay, too.
- Lesson 2: Falling in love isn’t easy. You can fall in and out of love multiple times before you find the right person for you.
- Lesson 3: Being a person of color in the United States is a struggle in itself. We worry about the regular shit like education and money, but safety is a constant discussion in the household too. With issues like gang violence and police brutality, you never know what will do you in.
This show just seemlessly pieces all of these life lessons together and more. This show doesn’t feel that heavy until you get to the end of each season though, and you start to reflect.
After watching seasons 1-3, you can’t help but feel connected to these characters, and the hardships they went through at such a young age. On My Block is a nice coming-of-age comedy that hits a little too close to home sometimes, and that’s why I love it so much.
Where you can watch On My Block
Seasons 1-3 are now available on Netflix. Go checkout On My Block as soon as possible! Until next time…
Are you still watching?
*I do not own the rights of any images or videos shared in this blog post.